Overview: This is a detailed description about the programme
- The doctoral specialization in Comparative and International Education is designed to relate a firm grounding in the theories and methods of a basic social or behavioral science to the analysis of education's role in the processes of economic growth, political development, and social change. The training of Comparative and International Education doctoral students is geared toward achieving substantial research competence in areas where a social science discipline and the policy problems of development education intersect.
- Study for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy involves a sustained, rigorous and systematic approach to the relevant body of knowledge, undertaken through experimentation, archival work, or other appropriate means. It includes an original research project that makes a significant contribution to knowledge and understanding or application of knowledge. It requires the preparation of a substantial thesis that presents the outcome of the research and places it in the broader framework of the discipline or field of study. Undertaken under qualified supervision, it promotes intellectual independence and the capacity to undertake further research at an advanced level.
This programme shall enable the learner:
- Carry out research and write a thesis which is in line with obligations and best practice for PhD study.
- Produce a PhD thesis from which at least two articles of a standard acceptable to a fully refereed journal are published. Research quality is generally judged by publication quality.
- Exposed to Research training which must therefore:
- stimulate them to adopt a disciplinary approach, which includes the ability to formulate questions
- to give structure to a scientific argument
- to find adequate methods and theories for tackling problems
- To be able to reflect critically on the subject of their dissertation.
- To train students to analyze educational problems and issues using the knowledge, concepts, and research methods.
MODE OF DELIVERY
- PhD candidates who currently enroll in the department of Educational Foundations undertake the PhD course by thesis only.
- Every candidate, before enrolling for the degree, must be approved as a candidate by the Associate Dean – Post Graduate – Faculty of Education.
- A candidate shall apply for enrolment on the PhD Application form. The form, which must be signed by the Head of Department, must nominate potential Senior Supervisors, who will normally be a member of the continuing academic staff of the University of Nairobi, indicate the general field of study, and recommend a date of enrolment.
- Once enrolled, the candidate shall work to develop a research proposal under the guidance of the nominated Senior Supervisor. Within six months of enrolment for the degree, the candidate must submit a PhD Proposal which must be defended in the departmental PhD committee and Faculty of Education committee before forwarding to the Associate Dean – postgraduate – Faculty of Education for approval.
- On completion of the departmental and Faculty defenses, the minutes must be submitted to the Associate Dean – Postgraduate – Faculty of Education recommending that: the candidate’s full enrolment be confirmed; or the candidate’s provisional enrolment can be extended for a specified period of up to 6 months.
The following shall be eligible for admission into the Professional Doctor of Philosophy degree in Comparative and International Education:
- The common regulations for professional doctoral degrees of the University of Nairobi and the Faculty of Education shall apply.
- A holder of Master Education (M.Ed.) degree from the University of Nairobi, or any other institution recognized by the senate specializing in Comparative and International Education.
- COURSE DURATION
- The minimum period of enrolment for a full-time candidate is two years and 4 years part time
- The maximum period of enrolment for a full-time candidate is normally four years and 8 years part time
- The Associate Dean – postgraduate Faculty of Education may extend this period
Upon graduation with PhD degree the graduates can be hired as policy makers in their area of specialization by the government or work in the private sector, teach at the universities, open their own firms as consultants, hired by the county and central governments as advisors on matters of education in their discipline areas.
Fees and Funding
|DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY IN EDUCATION|
|YEAR 1||YEAR 2||YEAR 3||TOTALS|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000.00||7,000.00||7,000.00||21,000.00|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||4,500.00||4,500.00||4,500.00||13,500.00|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000.00||1,000.00||1,000.00||3,000.00|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000.00||-||-||5,000.00|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500.00||6,500.00||6,500.00||19,500.00|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000.00||2,000.00||2,000.00||6,000.00|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5,000.00||5,000.00||5,000.00||15,000.00|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000.00||1,000.00||1,000.00||3,000.00|