This is a 2 year programme. The M.Ed. program gives students a strong disciplinary grounding that allows them to approach education questions. The M. Ed program consists of a set of common mandatory courses in the first year and a series of specialized courses in the second year. The course aims at helping teachers and educators analyze the development of educational theory and practice from the philosophical standpoint. The purpose of the course is to orient the learner to the meaning of philosophical concepts as they apply to education from ancient times up to the present and enabling them philophise on educational issues through attempting appropriate solutions, nationally and globally. Topics covered include various statistical and research methods, as well as substantive issues focusing on various aspects of the functioning of education in society in the various Philosophical Foundations areas of specialization.
This programme shall enable the learner:
- Explain the principles and theories of knowledge in philosophy of education
- Explain the origin of philosophical thought in Africa, Europe and Asia
- Analyse the subject matter/content/branches of technical philosophy and their relationship with education;
- Discuss Kenyan education in relation to different schools of thought, and attempt to formulate individual philosophy of education.
MODE OF DELIVERY OF THE PROGRAMME
The programme will be offered through: a) face –to – face; b) Open, Distance and e-Learning (ODEeL); c) Blended learning. Students will choose between one of the three options depending on their needs.
- Face- to- Face
Under this option, the program will be offered purely through class – based onsite sessions.
- Face – to – face mode of delivery will involve lecturers, discussions, case studies blended learning, experiential learning and problem based learning.
- Open, Distance and e-Learning (ODEeL)
Under this option, the program will be offered off- campus. Open, distance and e- learning mode of delivery will involve modules and electronic/web – based learning materials.
- The open, distance and electronic learning mode will be offered using a variety of self – instructional print and electronic study materials.
- The learning materials will be accessed through a Learner Management System (LMS) and other e- learning Applications (Apps) downloadable on various electronic devices.
- In addition, there will be limited face – to- face tuition/instruction during residential sessions. The face- to – to face instruction shall not exceed one – third of the instruction time.
- Blended learning
Under this option, the program will be offered by combining (2.1) and (2.2) above upon the request of the student.
- Course duration and Structure of the Programme
- The programme shall be offered for a minimum period of four semesters and a maximum period of twelve semesters.
- The programme shall run for a minimum of four semesters each of 15 weeks and a maximum of twelve semesters from the date of registration.
- Course Requirements
- The programme shall be offered by coursework, examinations and project or thesis.
- The coursework shall be conducted through lectures, discussion groups, seminars and assignments.
- The programme shall comprise 18 course units each of 60 contact hours.
- Students will be required to take all the eighteen course units offered
- Research Project: Each student shall be required to carry out a research project, at the end of the programme
- A candidate shall write either a project equivalent to 4 units or a thesis equivalent to 8 units. The project or thesis must target a specific area of History of Education
- Course duration and Structure of the Programme
The following shall be eligible for admission into the Master of Education in Philosophy of Education:
- The common regulations for the Master’s degrees of the University of Nairobi and the Faculty of Education shall apply.
- A holder of the degree of Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) of at least Second Class Honours Upper Division of the University of Nairobi or its equivalent from any other university recognized by the University of Nairobi Senate.
- A holder of the degree of Bachelor of Arts (B.A) or Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) of Second Class Honours Upper Division and a Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) of the University of Nairobi or equivalent qualifications from any other university recognized by the University of Nairobi Senate.
- A holder of the degree of Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) of Second Class Honours Lower Division of the University of Nairobi or its equivalent from any other university recognized by the of the University of Nairobi Senate and two years working experience.
- A holder of the degree of Bachelor of Arts (B.A) or Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) of Second Class Honours Lower Division and a Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) of the University of Nairobi or equivalent qualifications from any other university recognized by the University of Nairobi Senate and two years working experience.
- A holder of a pass degree for categories (i - iv) and five years working experience.
M.Ed Graduates (Philosophy of Education) may undertake a variety of professional roles which include providing management and leadership within the education sector in the government, and private sector, training can work nationally and internationally in the education sector, monitoring and evaluation of education and social sector, undertake research, for organizations including central and county governments, NGOs, Consultants among other sectors. Many are also well-equipped to apply for and pursue doctoral-level work in Philosophy of Education. Finally, our graduates have been absorbed as lecturers in a number of universities in Kenya
Fees and Funding
|MASTER OF EDUCATION -E55||YEAR 1||YEAR 2|
|SEMESTER 1 - 5UNITS||SEMESTER 2 - 5UNITS||SEMESTER 1 -4UNITS||SEMESTER 2-PROJECT||TOTALS|
|TUITION @ 25200||126,000.00||126,000.00||100,800.00||100,800.00||453,600.00|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500.00||-||6,500.00||-||13,000.00|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000.00||-||7,000.00||-||14,000.00|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||5,000.00||5,000.00||4,000.00||-||14,000.00|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2,250.00||2,250.00||2,250.00||2,250.00||9,000.00|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000.00||-||1,000.00||-||2,000.00|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000.00||-||2,000.00||-||4,000.00|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000.00||-||-||5,000.00|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5,000.00||-||5,000.00||-||10,000.00|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000.00||-||1,000.00||-||2,000.00|