At the end of the programme, the student should be able to:
- Explore the theoretical and applied knowledge of contemporary issues in Curriculum Studies research .
- Apply philosophy, principles and practice of Curriculum Studies to research.
- Conduct research independently at a high level of originality and quality.
- Continue to advance knowledge and its application in particular fields of study of Curriculum Studies
- The programme shall run for a minimum period of seven semesters and a maximum period of 15 semesters of 15 weeks.
- The programme shall be undertaken through coursework, examination and thesis.
- The minimum course load shall be three course units and the maximum course load shall be four course units per semester.
- Each course unit shall consist of 60 contact hours.
- Students will be required to take all the six course units offered except where credit transfer has been permitted.
- A student shall be required to take four core units in the first Semester and, two elective course units in the second Semester. Each elective unit shall be chosen from any one of three clusters.
- A student shall develop a proposal in the second semester.
- A candidate shall write a thesis equivalent to eight units
The following shall be eligible for admission into the Professional Doctor of Education degree in Curriculum Studies
- The common regulations for professional doctoral degrees of the University of Nairobi and the Faculty of Education shall apply.
- A holder of Master Education (M.Ed.) degree from the University of Nairobi, or any other institution recognized by the senate specializing in Curriculum Studies.
- The minimum period of enrolment for a full-time candidate is two years and 4 years part time
- The maximum period of enrolment for a full-time candidate is normally four years and 8 years part time
- The Associate Dean – postgraduate Faculty of Education may extend this period
Upon graduation with PhD degree the graduates can be hired as policy makers in their area of specialization by the government or work in the private sector, teach at the universities, open their own firms as consultants, hired by the county and central governments as advisors on matters of education in their discipline areas.
Fees and Funding
|DOCTOR OF EDUCATION - E96|
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|SEM 1 - 4units||SEM 2- 3units||SEM 3 - thesis||SEM 4- thesis||TOTALS|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||4,000.00||3,000.00||-||-||7,000.00|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5,000.00||-||5,000.00||5,000.00||15,000.00|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500.00||-||6,500.00||6,500.00||19,500.00|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000.00||-||7,000.00||7,000.00||21,000.00|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2,250.00||2,250.00||4,500.00||4,500.00||13,500.00|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000.00||-||2,000.00||2,000.00||6,000.00|
|CAUTION - (ONCE) refundable||5,000.00||-||-||-||5,000.00|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000.00||-||1,000.00||1,000.00||3,000.00|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000.00||1,000.00||1,000.00||3,000.00|